[Gdal-dev] AutoCAD DXF/DWG - Large File Support

Duncan Clarkson duncan.clarkson at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 18 10:52:28 EDT 2006

DWGdirect Version 1.14.02
GDAL 1.3.2
Ubuntu Linux 6.06

Hi,

I'm having trouble with DXF conversions on large files using the ODA
DWGdirect libs:

$ ogr2ogr -f "DXF" output England_low_soa_2001.gml
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc

This file is 645Mb. I've tried running the conversion several times with
no luck. My machine also grinds to nearly a complete standstill after
10-15mins of heavy duty processing. I ran 'top' to look at system usage
and my 2Gb RAM and a 4Gb swap partition were maxed out and CPU usage was
around 98%. I tried using 'nice' to relieve pressure a bit but it didn't
help much.

I've had success with smaller files, around 1.8Mb and find that these
conversions are very quick.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Duncan Clarkson