[Gdal-dev] Cookie cutting shapefiles in OGR

Alexandre Leroux alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca
Mon Jun 12 11:13:03 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm new to the list and started using GDAL/OGR recently :-)

Can someone tell me if I can do the following with OGR: I have two
shapefiles and need to cookie cut one with the other while keeping the
attributes of the first shapefile in the newly generated third shapefile.

I saw there is OGRGeometry::Intersection which would allow me to do
this, but I'd need to verify the intersection of all features from
shapefile #1 with all features of shapefile #2, which would take days
and days to compute with OGR (that's what my collegue which knows OGR
way better told me). Is there a way to cookie cut shapefiles directly at
the layer level?

This collegue also wonders if speed limitations from the GEOS library
are affecting other users of OGR.

Thanks for any help!

Alex

http://slashgeo.org
--
Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
Environnement Canada / Environment Canada
alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca