[Gdal-dev] Compile GDAL with VS2005 (BuildKit Source Code)

Zhonghai Wang zhonghaiw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 16:04:30 EDT 2006

hi there,

been pasted this message in MapServer mailing list, but I realized that it
may be better if I paste it here, since it's GDAL problem. Sorry for the
duplicated message.

I am trying to compile GDAL with VS2005, but there are  a lot of error
messages after the namake /f makefile.vc command. Here is what I have done:

1.source code download: -- the MapServer BuildKit from Howard Butler
   http://hobu.stat.iastate.edu/mapserver/build_output/
   and I have downloaded the latest package version "
mapserver-4.8.3-2-msvc71-buildk-kit.zip"
2.and I follow the compilation guide here:

http://www.nabble.com/Windows-build-kit-for-MSVC-7.1-t1143108.html#a2997024
   to compile MapServer, according to this doc, I should at first compile
the GDAL package, and then come to the MapServer package. But when I am
trying to compile the GDAL
   package under VS2005 command prompt with the command "nmake /f
makefile.vc", there are some error messages appears, the scenario is:
********************************
*C:\buildkit\gdal-1.3.2>nmake /f makefile.vc clean
*C:\buildkit\gdal-1.3.2>nmake /f makefile.vc
*
*
*
*and here come the error messages, I paste only the first one here, because
I think if I fix this problem, the other error may be fixed at the same
time:
*
*msvcprt.lib(MSVCP80.dll) : error LNK2005: "class
std::basic_string<char,struct s
*td::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > __cdecl
std::operator+<char,s
*truct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >(class
std::basic_strin
*g<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const
&,char c
*onst *)" (??$?HDU?$char_traits at ...<http://www.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=post&post=4867349&i=0>
*
**@... <http://www.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=post&post=4867349&i=1>)
already defined in geos
*.lib(WKTReader.obj)
*
I am really confused now, i am just wondering if GDAL can be compiled with
VS2005, or it can only be compiled with VC ++ 6?

thanks for any information.

zhonghai