[Gdal-dev] Writing NITFJP2s?

DeSpain, Ronald rdespain at harris.com
Thu Jun 8 13:14:38 EDT 2006

I'm looking for a way to use gdal_translate to write NITFJP2 image files
and version 1.2.6 indicates that it has these capabilities.  I'm using
version 1.3.2 currently.

ie
NITF Driver:
- Added support for reading *and* writing JPEG2000 compressed NITF files

   using the ECW/JPEG2000 SDK.
- Added ICHIPB support.

Is this only available via calls to the class libraries, or is there a
key word for the -of option of gdal_translate which is not documented?

I can't find any good installation instructions for either ECW, or
KAKADU.  I'm having to compile the applications on an SGI running IRIX.
I'm also using the WIN versions on my PC.  FWTools with gdal 1.3.2 for
the PC seems to have all the JPEG2000 stuff already in it...but it still
doesn't write out NITFJP2s.

Thanks
Ron DeSpain
Harris Geospatial Imaging