[Gdal-dev] DBF-Column type boolen and date?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Jun 18 12:56:37 EDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while updating the DBF driver in GRASS to the latest
> shapelib version, I came across this proposal:
>
>   [postgis-devel] DBF-Column type boolen and date
>   strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
>   Wed Jan 11 09:59:54 PST 2006
>   http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2006-January/001940.html
>   "Attached is a patch that will implement
>    support for Date and Bool DBF<->pgsql transfer.
>   "
>
> which was also committed later:
>   http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2006-January/001948.html
>
> Could this be added to SHAPELIB/OGR as well?

Markus,

OGR does not have a boolean field type, so for now we just map boolean fields
to ... umm, string I guess.  Dates are properly handled in the shapefile
driver using the native field type api i shapelib.

There was a proposed patch to add date (and boolean?) support in the shapelib
bugzilla, but I closed it since this can now be accomplished using the
native type shapelib functions.

Did you have a specific requirement for boolean fields?