Fwd: [Gdal-dev] Level 2 caching mechanism question

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 11:24:15 EDT 2006

Post Scriptum to my previous email:

I'm working in the Summer of Code with the Refractions Research, having
Simone Giannecchini as my Mentor.
My purpose is encapsulating the GDAL library within the ImageIO Java tools,
by using SWIG java bindings.

In such a way, we can exploit the Java ImageIO plugins within the GeoTools
grid coverage plugins, in order to access (read and write) many coverage
formats.

Probably, we need to modify the bindings to handle tile management.
As an instance, we need to add a binding for retrieving the chunk size.

In such a manner, within the ImageIO plugin, we can know the rasterband
block size and set the tilesize of the Image to this value.
This allows to use powerfull features of JAI ImageIO toolkit, as the tile
caching and the tile scheduling mechanismes, with great efficiency because
the data accesses will be performed in compliance with the rasterband
natural access size which  represents the more efficient chunk access size,
as stated in the GDAL Data Model.

Regards,
Daniele