[Gdal-dev] Is there a GetRasterBandasRGB?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 29 18:10:39 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I've been starting to work with GDAL (mostly with the python bindings),
and I've been very impressed, it's a very nice piece of work. I'm
particularly thrilled with the BSB support.

What I need to do is be able to read any (ideally) form of
geo-referenced raster image that GDAL supports, and then get a 24 bit
RGB version of a given subset of the image.

I've found I can use GetRasterBand() to extract the data I want.
However, I found myself having to write different versions of the code,
depending on how the data was stored:

if is is a single band raster, with a ColorTable, I do one thing

If it's a three band raster, with RBG bands, I do another

etc.....

Those are the two I've supported so far, but then it downed on me that
my needs can not be unique! this must be a pretty common problem.

So the question is, have I missed a function that extracts a subsection
of the rasterdata, and converts it to RGB data for me? If it's not built
in to GDAL, has anyone written such a thing, and/or would this be the
kind of thing that you'd like to add, if I write it?

thanks,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov