[Gdal-dev] Compressed and tiled HDF4

Julien Demaria dem at acri-st.fr
Wed Mar 8 13:08:11 EST 2006

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with internally GZIP compressed HDF4 files
(in SDS format) with or without chunks (tiles) using GDAL ?
I've just tested it and read a GZIP HDF4 seems to be very very very
longer than raw HDF.
I've compared performances with HDF tool hrepack which allows to
recompress and rechunk an HDF file. hdrepack has very good performances.

I know GDAL driver use a row as default block size for HDF4, maybe it's
the reason ? but I tried with GZIP HDF file with one row per tile and it
doesn't change anything...

In fact I just want to know if it's possible to (easily?) resolve this
problem or if there is a no-end hidden issue ; we have to know if HDF
compressed files is a good choice for internal use products or not...

Thanks in advance,

Julien