[Gdal-dev] ArcGrid to IMG conversion: huge file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 12:45:52 EST 2006

Petteri Packalen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> More clarification about this IMAGINE nodata issue. IMAGINE prefers the
> term BACKGROUND. It isn't strictly "notada" as we understand the
> concept. Often zero is used as background value but it cannot be defined
> in IMG-file (at least I haven't found such a functionality in 10+
> years). Many dialogs has an option "Ignore Zero in Stats" which serves a
> kind of surrogate to nodata functionality. Some import dialogs allows
> user to select whether "nodata" is converted to zero or e.g. minimum
> value of the current datatype.

Petteri,

That helps explain why I haven't run into it before.  Here I thought I
was just being stupid.

Peng Gao kindly sent me an example .img file which my .img dumper
shows as having this node:

     Eimg_NonInitializedValue(Eimg_NonInitializedValue) @ 1334574 + 21 @ 1334702
     + valueBD = 1x1 basedata of type 3

The 1x1 basedata is presumably the nodata value (0).

I will add support for this for nodata but I haven't noticed this before,
so I would suspect it is either relatively new, or perhaps still not
extensively used in Imagine.