[Gdal-dev] GDAL_TRANSLATE Problem

salah jubeh s_jubeh at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 04:15:29 EST 2006

Hello guys

  I checked the images with gdalinfo it gives me this result below but i tried two programs to open this image which are arcgis9.1 and Erdas both of them gave me that there is no coordinates, and projection system. yesterday i posted the first message because i checked the coordinates by using Erdas .

  still there is a  problem here which is software compatapility.

    Projection=PROJCS["IMAGINE GeoTIFF Support
Copyright 1991 - 2001 by ERDAS, Inc. All Rights Reserved
@(#)$RCSfile: egtf.c $ $Revision: 1.10.1.6 $ $Date: 2003/10/17 16:36:51EDT $
Projection Name = Transverse Mercator
Uni",GEOGCS["IMAGINE GeoTIFF Support
Copyright 1991 - 2001 by ERDAS, Inc. All Rights Reserved
@(#)$RCSfile: egtf.c $ $Revision: 1.10.1.6 $ $Date: 2003/10/17 16:36:51EDT $
Unable to match Ellipsoid (Datum) to a Ge",DATUM["unknown",SPHEROID["unnamed",63
78137,298.2572220960423]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433
]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],PARAMETER
["central_meridian",24],PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],PARAMETER["false_eastin
g",500000],PARAMETER["false_northing",0],UNIT["metre",1,AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]
]]
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (  477701.231, 3928005.706)
Lower Left  (  477701.231, 3927667.467)
Upper Right (  478094.457, 3928005.706)
Lower Right (  478094.457, 3927667.467)
Center      (  477897.844, 3927836.587)
Band 1 Block=615x6 Type=UInt16, ColorInterp=Gray

Hello Guys

  I used GDAL_translate to translate from geotiff format to HDF format and again to geotiff format.

  imgae.tif---->image.hdf---->image2.tif

  I checked the  HDF file it contains all meta data like projection , transformation matrix, and another tags. also i checked the image2.tif the result was not good no geographical coordinate, system no transformation matrix.

  I was able to compile GDAL with two HDF library versions "HDF41r5 and 42r1-win" but the result was the same.

  also i did another test i convert the HDF to ASCII file

  image.hdf----->imag.asc

  the result was good i get the correct coordinate and cellsize

  what is the problem here is it from gtiff driver or from HDF dri! ver and how can it be fixed