[Gdal-dev] Using geo::GDAL:

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Thu Mar 16 08:37:16 EST 2006

Disclaimers first: My answer may not be useful since I've got no
experience reading GRASS datasets with GDAL, and I'm going to write
about the swig-based Perl interface to GDAL.

use gdal;
$dataset = gdal::Open('grassraster');
$band = $dataset->GetRasterBand(1);
$colortable = $band->GetRasterColorTable;
for $i (0..$colortable->GetCount-1) { # I assume, or then 1..
	@color = $colortable->GetColorEntryAsRGB($i);
	print "$i @color\n";
}

other general information is a bit more difficult since the swig
interface does not seem to have methods like $band->GetStatistics etc.

what we have is here (poorly documented, good docs are here:
http://www.gdal.org/classGDALRasterBand.html)
http://map.hut.fi/gdal-perl/gdal.pod.html#gdal__band

it looks like you currently have to scan through the raster with
ReadRaster method to get the categories for example

Ari