[Gdal-dev] CreateCopy does not copy the NoData value info

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 24 11:51:34 EST 2006

Julien Fiore wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Sorry, my question was incomplete. The NoData value is converted into the new geotiff, I
> checked it with band.GetNoDataValue(). The problem is that ESRI ArcGIS 9.0 does not
> recognize the NoData value. When I look at the geotiff properties in ArcCatalog, the
> NoData field is empty. Is it an ArcGIS bug ?

Julien,

The reason is that there is no standard way of storing NODATA values in
GeoTIFF.  I think you would need to have an Erdas Imagine .aux file with
the nodata value stored in it for ArcGIS to recognise it.  GDAL uses a
non-standard tag in the GeoTIFF file to hold the nodata.  It is possible
that ArcGIS could add support for this some day.