[Gdal-dev] Content length field mismatch in shapefiles

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon May 1 12:18:55 EDT 2006

Roger Bivand wrote:
> If anyone can see errors of interpretation here, I'd be grateful. I don't
> think this fix can be applied to OGR/shapelib from the API, though, is
> that right?

Roger,

I'm hesitant to incorporate such a change into shapelib for fear it will
make things very fragile.  I would kind of like to make Shapelib support
shp files without a .shx file (perhaps generating it as a prepass).  If we
had that, I think folks with geolytics files could just delete their .shx
file and let shapelib regenerate it properly.  However, I'm not likely to
do this myself in the near future.

Generally speaking trying to deal with other folks broken writers can
be a very frustrating and somewhat dangerous direction.  And it isn't one I'm
likely to do for fun.