[Gdal-dev] RFC 2: Migration to OSGeo Subversion Repository

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 4 11:52:41 EDT 2006

Folks,

As part of OSGeo'ification of GDAL/OGR, I was considering a migration
from cvs.maptools.org to OSGeo.  However, the disruption wasn't very
appealing without any additional reason to make the move.  However,
the other thing that has been suggested to me for some time is that
it is time to migrate to Subversion.  Subversion offers a variety of
benefits over CVS.

  o Renaming of files and directories is handled gracefully.
  o More information is stored on the client side, so stuff like getting
    changes working diffs is instant.
  o Doing branches is more intuitive (so I might not be afraid to do so).

Howard already did a "test conversion" that demonstrates preserving all the
history back to 1998 so I am comfortable that we aren't losing much.  The
main downside from my point of view is that SVN (Subversion) does not support
the $Log$ style history accumulation in the header. So we will pretty much
need to strip that all out.   While I like that log history, I can live
without it.  The move will also inevitably cause some disruption for existing
committers.

I would like to proceed as soon as possible, so without further ado, I give
you RFC 2:

   http://www.gdal.org/rfc2_svn.html