[Gdal-dev] RFC 2: Migration to OSGeo Subversion Repository

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 4 16:22:02 EDT 2006

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>>  o Doing branches is more intuitive (so I might not be afraid to do so).
>>

> Is it creating branches or using them that is more intuitive? Creating
> CVS branches is as simple as typing "cvs tag -b..." and I never found
> that confusing myself ... how does SVN do it?
>
> I have to admit that using branches with CVS often confuses new
> developers/users, but I didn't think it could be made any easier, the
> developers need to understand the concept of branching once and then
> they're fine. I'm really looking forward to see how SVN made that more
> intuitive.

Daniel,

Apparently you just copy the whole source tree from the "trunk" directory
into an appropriately named directory under the "branch" directory.  No
special commandline options or anything like that.  Apparently SVN
maintains these copies efficiently (not copying actual data, just pointers).

I haven't lived in that regime yet, but hopefully it will be straight
forward.

CVS branches aren't really *all* that bad, and I've managed to handle
work with them in mapserver.  But it took me years!

> In the RFC you wrote:
> "All source files in SVN will have the svn:keywords property set to "Id"
> by Frank after they are created."
>
> Does this mean that SVN doesn't use the "$Id: $" keyword by default and
> that any new files will need to have this flag set to it after it's been
> added to the repository?

That is correct.  You need to mark files specially to tell them to
expand special variables.  Bob Bray wrote up a bit of info on how to
have SVN clients do some of this automatically for new files.

   https://mapguide.osgeo.org/subversionconfig.html

I imagine most of this would apply to us as well.