[Gdal-dev] writing RPC data in NITF format?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 11 13:47:04 EDT 2006

Sarah Mulholland wrote:
> I have a NITF image and RPC data in a separate file.  I need to embed
> the RPC data in the NITF file.  I see that there's a GDALExtractRPCInfo
> function.  Would it be straightforward to create a GDALInsertRPCInfo so
> that I can perform the following steps:
>
> 1. populate a GDALRPCInfo object with the RPC values
> 2. read the NITF image into a GDAL data set
> 3. insert the RPC information
> 4. write the result to a NITF file
>
> Is this straightforward to do?

Sarah,

I'm not convinced that it would be all that easy.  Currently the
GDAL NITF writer does not write any TREs (extensions) so a bunch of
machinery would need to be added.  My next concern would be that we
are still not producing a proper "product" matching an existing product
specification though that might not really matter.

One option you might want to look into is writing NITFs with RPCs using
OSSIM.  Generally speaking, I think the OSSIM folks have been doing more
indepth NITF support than I do in GDAL.  I don't really want to replicate
all the more exotic stuff they do.

But of course, if it is important enough to you, it can be accomplished.