[Gdal-dev] NITF and RPCs

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Tue May 16 18:32:53 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have a Quickbird NITF file which I'm having georeferencing problems
with under GDAL. The Geotransform numbers that I get back from GDAL seem
very wrong. However, other applications such as ENVI (with the NITF
module) are able to read the geocoordinates just fine. On closer
investigation it seems that the file contains RPC values, and I wonder
if ENVI is using these coefficients in preference to the geotransform
data. Is this what should happen?

I found an e-mail from Frank from 2003, which talks about recently added
support for RCP in NITF. However, all I can find is the
GDALExtractRPCInfo() method which extracts the raw RPC numbers. Are
there any GDAL methods for converting row/column coords to geocoords
using this RPC data? How does one do this?

Any idea why GDALGetGeotransform() is returning such strange numbers?
For various reasons it's a little tricky for me to obtain the ouput of,
say, gdalinfo applied to the file, but I could try to do this if it
would be helpful.

Cheers,

Sy