[Gdal-dev] GDAL v1.3.2 on linux - no PGEO driver

Stuart Eve stuarteve at lparchaeology.com
Fri May 19 05:17:16 EDT 2006

Mateusz,

Great to hear you've found the issue!

In terms of PGeo on linux - its not working that well/at all!  Theres a
number of issues that I came across (after talking with Frank about it a
bit):

The system that I had it set up on is Suse 10, with unixODBC 2.2.10 and
I started out with mdbtools 0.5 and gdal 1.3.1

1. The PGeo is currently set up to look for a driver called Microsoft
Access Driver (*.mdb) - this of course doesn't exist by default (but it
may be possible to set a driver up in the odbcinst.ini - I was going to
try that but then upgraded my gdal and 'lost' the pGeo driver)

2. I set up a new driver (in odbcinst.ini) called MDBToolsODBC - and
pointed it at the mdbtools driver (libmdbodbc.so.0)

3. I then went into the source code and changed
ogr/ogrsf_frmts/pgeo/ogrpgeodatasource.cpp Line 104 to read: sprintf(
pszDSN, "DRIVER=MDBToolsODBC;DBQ=%s", pszNewName).

4. I ran ogrinfo (pointing it at my geodatabase) and Bingo it connected!
However, I then got a message saying that 'table GDB is not a table'. It
turns out that the current stable version 0.5 of mdbtools has a bug in
it that doesn't recognise underscores in table names - so all of the GDB
tables were getting rejected!

5. I upgraded my mdbtools to 0.6 - the CVS version (with the underscore
bugfix) - and then at the same time upgraded my gdal and hence lost the
PGeo driver - so haven't been able to test a PGeo connection. However, I
can now read the geodatabase using the ODBC driver and list the tables,
etc. so the underscore bug is definitely fixed. So close!!

Ok since starting this email  I have just set up a driver in my
odbcinst.ini called [Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)] and ran an ogrinfo
ODBC:/path/to/geodb and it connected just fine (but of course didn't
recognise it as a geodatbase - but the ODBC connection read it).

So in conclusion (sorry for long email) - I think that if you manage to
get PGeo installing for gdal1.3.2 - all a linux user would have to do to
get it to access geodatabases (at least with unixODBC) is to install
mdbtools 0.6 and set up a Driver in their odbcinst.ini called [Microsoft
Access Driver (*.mdb)] pointing at libmdbodbc.so.0.

So I look forward to your bugfix so I can try it out!

Cheers Stu

--
Stuart Eve
L - P : Archaeology