[Gdal-dev] VRT format Schema

Antoine Hue tonio_73 at tiscali.fr
Mon May 22 13:50:44 EDT 2006

Since I got no answer to my question about an available DTD or Schema
for the VRT format; and since I wanted to understand a bit more about
the VRT, I have created a schema for it based on the HTML doc and based
on code browsing.
Please find it attached as well as a picture generating from it by
oXygen.

There are still a few dark zones and area to improves:
- ComplexSource and AverageSource need a complete definition
- Better definition of the subClass property of the VRTRasterBand
needed.
- An explicit definition of the raw raster source (to go with
SimpleSource, KernelFilteredSource,..) would improve homogeneity.
- Kernel's Coefs and Size could be more explicitly defined.
- Same thing for GeoTransform

I have validated it with examples of the VRT HTML doc (tutorial).
Examples need to get modified a bit to refer to the schema as shown in
the example file attached.

When completed, we may set it online on the www.gdal.org, some
modification of the definition and link is then needed.

I think VRT really makes sense as a way to geo-reference rasters. It is
quite extensive and may get embedded inside a larger XML document.
For this latter alternative, it may make sense to wrap into an XML
namespace.
We may also extend it to better support rasters representing elevation.

Antoine Hue