[Gdal-dev] NG Python bindings, and SWIG 1.3.29

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 24 12:05:25 EDT 2006

Folks,

I'm following up on failures in the autotest suite with the NG Python
bindings, especially when built with SWIG 1.3.29 (the most recent public
release of SWIG).  It seems that invoking Destroy() or Release() on an
ogr.DataSource is *not* causing it to be closed immediately and this is
causing serious problems for tests that require this.

A few questions:
  o The committed python wrappers seem to work substantially better than the
    ones I generate myself.  Are the committed bindings generated with an
    older or a newer SWIG than 1.3.29?

  o Are there any suggestions on how to force immediate deletion in the
    ogr.DataSource destructor?  Currently this just seems to decrement the
    Python reference count leaving it up to the Python VM to invoke the
    close function when it pleases.