[Gdal-dev] OGRTINDEX support for Geodatabases?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 31 11:07:13 EDT 2006

chrislist at narx.net wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Just wondering if the ogrtindex driver has support for the pgeo driver? I
> have multiple geodatabases and creating a ogr index would make my life 100x
> easier. OGR can read the PGeo fine, but whenever i try to create an index
> it fails with the below ODBC error.
>
> ogrtindex tindex.shp F:/web/uploaded/slip/data/Hydro/50k/*.mdb
>
> ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for DRIVER=Microsoft
> Access
>  Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=F:/web/uploaded/slip/data/Hydro/50k/*.mdb,
> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error.
> Failed to open dataset F:/web/uploaded/slip/data/Hydro/50k/*.mdb, skipping.

Chris,

On Win32 the DOS command window does not expand wildcards before invoking
a program. It is up to the program to do so.  To get ogrtindex.exe to do
this you need to link in setargv.obj when building GDAL/OGR.

If you are building your own GDAL/OGR, you can uncomment the SETARGV
line in nmake.opt.  But you will also have to make sure the VCDIR is
set properly to point to your compiler tree so the file can be found.

The FWTools builds should already include this.

The other alternative is to build a DOS for loop to invoke ogrtindex
for each file via looping.