[Gdal-dev] performance issue with gdal_translate...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 31 16:24:02 EDT 2006

John Cole wrote:
> Frank,
>   Thanks, that helped greatly.  BTW, If you put 1000 in, it doesn't appear
> to use the value, 999 seems to be the maximum number.  I had tried 1000
> earlier, and it didn't do anything so I has assumed that I was using the
> wrong switch.

John,

Umm, well, you see it's like this.  The processing code tries to be "smart".
It assumes a value larger than 999 must be in bytes instead of megabytes.
Because after all, no one would ever have more than 1GB of memory, right?
Well, it seemed reasonable at the time, circa 2000 or so.

So you can use 1500000000 if you want a 1.5GB cache.

> Looks like it will finish in <5minutes now :-)  It had been running for an
> hour and hadn't hit the first 2%.

It does make a dramatic difference.