[Gdal-dev] performance issue with gdal_translate...

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed May 31 19:46:44 EDT 2006

John -

In addition to Frank's note, I would point out that while you're using
0.5% of memory, you're also using 100% of the CPU.  Increasing the
amount of memory available to GDAL will avoid/minimize disk I/O, but if
disk I/O is a major performance factor then I would not expect you to
see 100% CPU usage.  Your CPU can't spend more than 100% of its time on
gdal_translate, so it is possible that your situation is CPU-bound.

It is also possible that that CPU time is partially or largely devoted
to disk buffer processing, so increasing GDAL_CACHEMAX is certainly a
very good idea.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker