[Gdal-dev] RFC 3: GDAL Commiter Guildlines

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 1 11:04:39 EST 2006

Marek Brudka wrote:
> Hi,
>    Recommended practice:
>  > "All source code in SVN should be in Unix text format as opposed to
> DOS text mode."
> is rather pointless, as subversion clients convert all text files on the
> fly. It is better thus to employ "svn:eol-style=native" property for all
> existing text files and configure svn clients to do the same when
> creating new ones. Please, see /etc/subversion/config.

Marek,

There are ways of committing code into SVN in DOS format.  The RFC says
this should not be done.  How folks ensure it gets converted into Unix
text format in SVN is up to them. If they can accomplish it with the
appropriate SVN settings, then more power to them.

I will admit the RFC (despite talking about SVN everywhere) is really
based on best practices established over years of using CVS.