[Gdal-dev] Release 1.4.0

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 14 13:26:41 EST 2006

Simon Perkins wrote:

> On linux where it's more common to use a central shared GDAL library, it
> seems that we typically don't change the library soname. It's been
> libgdal.so.1 for a long time now. I have no idea if the latest GDAL is
> actually binary compatible with the earliest version that used that
> name. Has that been a problem for anyone?

Ideally,

libgdal.so.1 would be a link to libgdal.so.1.4, which would be a link to
libgdal.so.1.4.0 ---

The libgdal.so.1 link would change to the latest version, as newer ones
were installed, but the older ones could stick around, and could be
linked to if need be.

In general, the goal is for binary compatibility between minor version
number changes. (i.e 1.4.1 should be binary compatible with 1.4.0)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov