[Gdal-dev] GeoQuadTree - an open format for storinggeoreferencedimages

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Tue Nov 14 20:51:37 EST 2006

TIFF has some pretty serious file size limitations so wouldn't be good
for these kinds of large rasters. I'm not familiar with TILEINDEX, but
is this a MapServer related thing? Is that applicable to local image
storage on the desktop?

I think the GeoQuadTree idea is interesting - it doesn't rely on large
file support on the OS (not that that's a serious problem for any modern
OSes), and dealing with lots of small files could be more efficient than
one large file in some cases I would think.

As for PNG vs JPEG, it depends on whether you're happy to accept lossy
compression or not. For many applications, customers are averse to
losing any resolution. It might make sense to make the underlying file
format in GeoQuadTree flexible acording to application. Actually, I'd
prefer to see a format that can handle multispectral files - PNG and
JPEG are both limited to 1 or 3 bands, aren't they? Or are multiple
bands stored as separate grayscale images?

I would guess that with very large rasters, some sort of pyramid scheme
becomes important in addition to the tiling, so that if you just want to
get an overview of the whole image, you don't have to read every single
file. Does GeoQuadTree handle that?

But, Ed is right that storing very large rasters is a not a new problem.
So, what do people do? I guess that at the high end, outfits like Google
Earth use a spatial database to organize multiple individual raster
files and then stich them together. Could somebody outline the solution
used by the Virtual Terrain project?

Cheers,

Sy