[Gdal-dev] GeoQuadTree - an open format for storinggeoreferencedimages

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Nov 14 21:06:04 EST 2006

Simon -

TILEINDEX is a MapServer/quasi-GDAL mechanism for handling a large
number of rasters as a single unit.  The rasters don't need to be the
same size, and can overlap - I suspect they can even be different file
formats, although I've never tried, and they can be stored anywhere in
the file system.

The TILEINDEX scheme uses an ESRI shapefile (with an optional quadtree
index on it) as a spatial index for the rasters.  One polygon is
generated for each raster, with that polygon representing the bounding
box of that file.  The path to the raster file itself is stored as a
string attribute of the polygon.  Applications use the spatial/geometry
features of the polygon to determine which input image(s) if any
intersect the area of interest for drawing.

It's not the same sort of thing, exactly, and there are no tools I'm
aware of for managing the individual image organization on disk.  But it
works well for me.  I use TILEINDEX structures to manage about 500,000
individual raster files that are about 40 terabytes altogether (haven't
counted lately <g>).  It could certainly use enhancement, but it might
be a good starting point for such a project.

    - Ed
Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.