[Gdal-dev] Newbie needs help with RGB images

opcode at telus.net opcode at telus.net
Wed Nov 29 19:11:54 EST 2006

I'm just getting started with GDAL in my code( 1 day under my belt :-) ) and
am looking for some direction on how to load a GeoTiff (or other ) image and
convert it to a RGB image buffer. The tiff image is 20,000 x 24000 x 3 and I
want to downsample it into a 1024 x 1024 x 3 RGB image.

I am thinking I can get it one band at a time with the dataset->RasterIO
method and changing the offset each pass but this is likely to be very slow as
it will downsample the entire image for each band. Is there any way to
directly create the interleaved RGB?

Thanks
Frank