[Gdal-dev] Re: ogr limitation?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 10 14:02:01 EDT 2006

Peter.Rushforth at statcan.ca wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I was able to reduce each polygon in the multipolygon to its
> bounding box, which substantially reduces the filesize.  ogr2ogr
> appears to still hang.  I wonder if this is actually a limit on the
> number of
> multipolygon polygon members in ogr itself and not just with the gml
> driver?
>
> Any light you might be able to shed on where to look in the code would
> also be helpful, if you don't have time to address it yourself!
>
> Simply rename the attached .zap file to .zip and it should unzip.  I have
> bundled a gfs file which should work with it.

Peter,

I have determined that the internal logic in the gml reader for aggregating
complex large geometries was very non-optimal.  It seems that the driver
wasn't really hanging - just taking a very very long time.  I have
restructured the gml driver code a bit, and now the file you sent is handled
quite smoothly.  The changes are in CVS.