[Gdal-dev] Does OGR support oracle Express?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 11 23:59:24 EDT 2006

taka_www at sinaman.com wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I have just set a windoews ODBC connect to ORacle Express 10g relational
> Database, say DNS name is ABC. And I use ogrinfo myname/mypass at ABC, it
> cannot detect my DB and hang. Are there any addional procedure to be done
> inorder to get support on ORacle Express 10g. Please advice.

Taka,

Are you prefixing the datasource name with ODBC:?

eg.

"ogrinfo ODBC:myname/mypass at ABC"

As long as you have your ODBC DSN working properly, you should be able
to access Oracle Express 10g as a non-spatial database using the ODBC
driver.  Note that the OGR ODBC driver generally tries to collect details
on visible tables when first connecting.  This can be pretty slow for a
database with many tables (do system tables show as tables via ODBC from
oracle?) so you might want to limit yourself to one or a few tables
explicitly.

eg.

"ogrinfo ODBC:myname/mypass at ABC,mytable"