[Gdal-dev] Re: OpenEV/FWTools 1.5 - crash in software rendering mode

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 18 10:11:37 EDT 2006

Maciej Sieczka wrote:
> Frank,
>
> OpenEV from FWTools 1.5, on Ubuntu dapper, in software rendering mode,
> crashes opening any data (tif/png/shapefile I tried) and the following
> error is printed:
>
> /home/shoofi/bin/FWtools/bin/openev: line 25:  9336 Illegal instruction
>     ${OPENEV_HOME}/bin/python ${OPENEV_HOME}/pymod/openev.py "$@"
>
> No crashes in -h(ardware) mode... Only that in -h mode the following
> warnings are issued, I don't know if that's OK:

Maciej,

This is (unfortunately) fairly common.  It seems that the all-software
OpenGL version shipped with FWTools OpenEV does not work on some linux
systems for reasons I don't understand.  In that case switching to hardware
mode often does work.  I am wondering if hardware mode ought to be the
default, and software mode a fallback. I'm not sure if that might not
be much worse.

I will add an FAQ about this on the fwtools.maptools.org/linux-main.html
page.