[Gdal-dev] OpenEV/FWTools 1.5 - crash in software rendering mode

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Oct 18 11:02:48 EDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Oh, I can see you are using ATI binary driver. I've been using XORG's
>> free 'radeon' driver, as the ATI one doesn't give me the 3D
>> acceleration on my X700, despite of no errors or relevant warnings in
>> the XORG log and the fact, that direct rendering *is* turned on - while
>> the free 'radeon' does provide a pretty decent 3D accel. Thus using ATI
>> binary driver is not an option for me, even if that helped with OpenEV.

> I just followed instructions from the ubuntuforums.org, about how to
> configure 3D acceleration for ATI.

I did the same, no good. Do you mean the link:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Dapper_Installation_Guide?

I did all as suggested. Like I'm saying - driver loads, X starts, no
errors, warnings, any signs of anything wrong, fglrx* programs work OK.
Only no 3D acceleration, despite direct rendering enabled. I used the
most actuall binary deb available for Dapper, ie. 8.28.8, provided in
seveas Dapper repo. I should give it a shot with the older one,
Dapper's stock 8.25.18, if time allows. Anyway - ATI sucks. I wish I
bought a laptop with NVIDIA instead.

Maciek