[Gdal-dev] RFC 3: GDAL Commiter Guildlines

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Oct 27 11:41:35 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I was thinking there would be a separate RFC some day addressing how we
> handle releases that could talk about release branches and tags in more
> detail.  I did mention that new branches should not be created without the
> permission of the PSC or a release manager though to be honest the "cost"
> of creating a branch in SVN isn't as high as in CVS so we might relax this
> at some point.

Sorry for going off-topic, but what is the "cost" of creating a branch
in CVS? It's just a flag in CVS that you create and use with a single
command-line switch, that can't cost more than 0.02$. ;)

 From what I read it seems that SVN automagically duplicates all the
branched directories and files in all copies that you checkout... that's
a cost in download time and hard drive space. So if you ask me I'd be
tempted to think that branching costs more in messiness, time and disk
space with SVN than CVS.

Please show me the light.  ;)

Daniel
--