[Gdal-dev] RFC 3: GDAL Commiter Guildlines

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Oct 30 02:40:13 EST 2006

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> I have to admit I don't know SVN much, I had just assumed from what I
>  read that the default behavior was to pull all branches unless you
> specify a single branch or the trunk at checkout time. If the default
> is to only pull the trunk (like CVS does) then you're right that
> solves this issue.

Daniel,

The main difference between CVS and SVN branches is that SVN
branches are physical copies of directory tree(s).
Most common strategy of SVN repository layout is to have 3 directories:
trunk
tags
branches

where
trunk is equivalent to CVS HEAD.
tags stores tagged snapshots
branches stores forked development lines, usually copies of trunk

In fact, trunk copies in tags and branches do not differ, you can still
commit to tags or branches, etc.
It's mainly based on project policies that developers are supposed to
respect.

It's possible to arrange SVN repositories as developers like.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net