[Gdal-dev] GDALDataset as a Base Class

Matt Hanson mhanson at photon.com
Fri Sep 1 16:48:34 EDT 2006

Mateusz wrote:
> Does the 'transparent' mean you don't want to make user of your
> library to deal directly with GDAL?
> So, user needs only to pass filename/dataset location to your interface
> and GDAL objects are create behind the scene?

Essentially yes, even though I may add that GDAL has a very nice and quick to learn interface.  So it's not to make GDAL simpler but rather to automate the process of reading, processing in chunks, and writing out.    A user would init an image by passing it a filename and in most cases they won't have to worry about calling Read/Write functions, instead they call processing functions.

I'm actually quite interested at some point to write iterators (1-D and 2-D), so that STL or more specifically VIGRA (http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/vigra/) style algorithms could be used directly but that would take a lot more work and the trick would be to make them smart enough to minimize I/O.   I haven't thoguht out the process yet but  I'd probably start by restricting the case to forward iterators and then read in a block when you hit the beginning of it and store which piece has been read in.  This isn't in the scope of my current effort but it would be nice to see someday.

matt

Matt Hanson
http://www.omnium-gatherum.org