AW: [Gdal-dev] gdal and hdf

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 6 11:57:57 EDT 2006

C.Strobl at dlr.de wrote:
> hello frank,
> thank you for your fast answer. the -sds option works fine, i didn't see it, because i searched mainly at the hdf-description-page.
> my problem was the specification of subdatasets. i think its only a matter of syntax, maybe double quotes or not, ...its always a little bit different with windows, also for example with ogr and vpf. there only the subdataset must be double quoted
> its still interesting for me, because sometimes its more usefull to extract only subdatasets
> thanks
>> gdalinfo
>> HDF4_EOS:EOS_SWATH:E:\usgs\modis\subset_MOD02_243.1850.hdf:MODIS_SWATH
>> _Type_L1B:EV_250_Aggr1km_RefSB

Christian,

Indeed I think the problem is quoting.  In particular, you need quotes around
the actual filename to get through to the program if you use a file path that
includes a colon.  I don't know how to accomplish this on windows.  But you
might be better off not using an absolute path that includes a driver
specifier.  I think use of the colon as a delimeter for sections of the
filename may have been unwise.