[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr creating shapefile

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Thu Sep 14 04:55:06 EDT 2006

"Frances Collier" wrote:
> Hello all,

> I initially posted this on the postgis mailing list but was informed that it
> was better suited for this list. So, below is the problem I've been having.
> I'll greatly appreciate any help I can get. Thank you -Frances

> I have been trying to figure out how to create a shapefile using
> ogr2ogr.

I can confirm getting a segmentation fault unter Linux/ia32 with
'ogr2ogr' from gdal-1.3.2:

foxtrot: 10:42:53 ~> /opt/GRASS/bin/ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" \
  ./mangrove.shp PG:'host=localhost user=martin dbname=landcover' \
  -sql "SELECT wkb_geometry from mangrove"
Segmentation fault

Running a binary compiled for x86_64 on the same machine reveals a
different error message:

ERROR 2: CPLRealloc(): Out of memory allocating 85052352 bytes. Abort

Doesn't "pgsql2shp" do the job for you ? This is what I use
for this job.

Cheers,
	Martin.