[Gdal-dev] Visual Studio Project Files

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Thu Sep 14 05:47:39 EDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 11:06:00AM -0600, Simon Perkins wrote:
> PROPOSED IMPLEMENTATION
>
> The Visual Studio IDE requires that each individual DLL, executable etc,
> be treated as a separate "Project" within a larger "Solution". The
> .vcproj files defining individual projects have to live in their own
> sub-directories - you cannot have more than one .vcproj file in the same
> directory (or at least, I haven't found an easy way of doing this). The
> source code does not have to be in the same directory as the .vcproj
> files.  The acutal executables, libraries, etc are built in Debug and
> Release sub-directories of the .vcproj directories. Note that other VS
> applications that depend on GDAL do not have to know about this level of
> detail - they simply reference the .vcproj file.

Simon,

That all looks pretty complicated to maintain. Is there a way to include
in project files the list of file paths and include parameters like it
is done in the current makefiles? Otherwise it gets too complicated even to
add a single new file to the project. If we will found a way to keep the
file lists and configuration parameters separate from the project files
there will be no problem to add them to GDAL. Without such separation
there should be the one who will regularly update project files.

Best regards,
Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev