[Gdal-dev] make makefile.vc run faster

Ivan Lucena ILucena at clarku.edu
Mon Sep 18 17:17:17 EDT 2006

Hi There,

I am drinking too much coffee every time I change something and
re-compile GDAL, but that's because the make files are wasting a lot of
time copying unchanged .obj files. So I did the following steps to
replace all copy by "xcopy /D /Y":

In Visual Studio (8) 2005:

Edit>>"Find and Replace">>"Replace in Files"

Find what:
"copy *.obj"

Replace with:
"xcopy /D /Y *.obj"

Look in:
<your gdal source main folder, ex: "E:\GDAL\">

v - Include sub-folders

Find options:

Look at these files types:
"makefile.vc"

Click on "Replace All"

Click on "Yes"

Now it runs in no-time (for a cup of coffee).

Of curse there is a better way to do that by creating rules in
makefiles. But this is just a suggestion with minimum impact.

Ivan