[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr: Command not found.

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Sep 19 14:30:10 EDT 2006

Ryan Ollerenshaw wrote:
> So i had to recompile gdal from the source in order to add support for
> Xerces-C but after i did this i was still getting the same error so i
> removed ogr2ogr from the /usr/local/bin/ directory and then recompiled
> gdal again but now the ogr2ogr command is not being put back into the
> /usr/local/bin/ directory.  what do i need to do in order to get the
> gdal command back in there.

After you compile GDAL from sources on Unix,
you need to install it, so run following command:

$ make install

Then, make will (re)install all libraries and executables in paths under
'prefix'. prefix is a base installation path, by default it is in
/usr/local, so libs go to /usr/local/lib, programs go to /usr/local/bin,
etc.

You can use custom prefix:

./configure --prefix=/my/custom/dir
make
make install

then you will get

/my/custom/dir/lib - libraries
/my/custom/dir/bin - programs
/my/custom/dir/share - GDAL resources, etc.

If you want to do *complete* rebuild, run "make clean" command first.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net