[Gdal-dev] RE: VRT File Format

Matt Hanson mhanson at photon.com
Thu Sep 21 11:39:16 EDT 2006

This is indeed interesting.  I took the sample and changed the filename too.   I tried gdalinfo and it works.    But my code still wasn't working (corrupt XML file error).  So, I made this very simple program, even switched to the C API.  And it does not work.   I've looked at gdalinfo.c and can't see why there would be any difference.   Someone on the list emailed and suggested I avoid spaces in my filenames.  I've done that too, and still doesn't work yet gdalinfo.exe does.

#include "gdal.h"

int main() {

GDALAllRegister();

const char* fname = "c:\\testimages\\tstimage";

GDALDatasetH ds = GDALOpen(fname,GA_ReadOnly);

return 0;

}

The exact error is:

"ERROR 1: Corrupt or empty VRT source XML document."

Which i've traced back as described before to gdalsourcerasterband.cpp:286 where it appears that while processing the XML elements it expects only XML elements, not attributes.  When it hits the first attribute of VRTRasterBand it throws this error.

I'm not sure if I'm confused why my code doesn't work, or if I'm confused that the gdalinfo code does work !

Sincerely, Confused in New Hampshire