[Gdal-dev] RFC DRAFT: Unicode support in GDAL

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Thu Sep 21 17:21:22 EDT 2006

When I remeber well, you have to specify globally in the Windows
registry if the .dbf of shapefiles are encoded in UTF. But if you do so
and then load a shapefile not in UTF then the special characters are
displayed wrong.

So ArcGIS has not really a flexible support for UTF, at least not for
shapes.

armin