[Gdal-dev] RFC 5: Unicode support in GDAL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Sep 25 10:27:53 EDT 2006

Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> Folks,
>
> There is new RFC on the topic we are recently discussed:
>
>  http://gdal.maptools.org/rfc5_unicode.html
>
> Any comments are welcome.

Andrey,

1) I don't think I like the constraint that CPLString's must always be in
    UTF-8.  Instead, I think I would prefer CPLString know it's encoding,
    and that the recoding operations change the encoding "in place" within
    the CPLString.  The current recode() method still leaves us with the
    "remember to free" issue I was hoping to avoid by moving some of this
    work into the CPLString.

2) How is the "int nEncoding" parameter enumerated?  Is there some well known
    universal list of encodings mapped to integers we would be using?

3) I don't understand your comment about having to call setlocale(LC_ALL,"")
    in order to use non-ASCII characters.  Why?  I do think the RFC will need
    to address how it relates to the previous work to force things into the
    C locale at strategic points.  Perhaps that does not related since it
    was really just about numeric locale processing?

I think there is still a great deal of material that will need to be fleshed
out in the RFC before it is adoptable.