[Gdal-dev] ECW mosaicking

Jose Luis Gomez Dans josegomez at gmx.net
Thu Apr 12 07:23:15 EDT 2007

Hi!
I have downloaded the ECW SDK from ERMapper, and have recompiled GDAL against it. It works fine. However, I have a couple of questions:
1.- Can I use gdal_merge to *ehm* merge a large number of large GeoTIFF files into a single ECW file? I have tried and I get the following error:
   "Format driver ecw does not support creation and piecewise writing.
   Please select a format that does, such as GTiff (the default) or HFA
   (Erdas Imagine)."
If not, what is the best way to merge these files using GDAL and the ECW SDK?

2.- What about the file size limit? There used to be a 500Mb limit, but according to <http://www.ermapper.com/ProductView.aspx?t=212>, I can see no limitation anywhere (or in the gdal website). Is this still current. Given my inability to merge files into an ECW, I cannot test it myself yet :)

Many thanks!
Jose