[Gdal-dev] Proposal for Unified Windows Binaries

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Wed Apr 18 01:59:42 EDT 2007

Simon Perkins kirjoitti:
> BTW, I'd like to put in my vote for using Visual Studio 2005 Express
> for pre-compiled windows binaries. It's free, up to date (at least
> until Visual Studio Orcas comes out later this year), actually
> available (unlike VS 2003), includes a proper optimizing compiler, and
> is generally a nicer bit of software than VS 2003. The manifest thing
> should be taken care of by the GDAL makefiles.

This (from Wikipedia) worries me:

"Unfortunately, the Express Edition does not include the Visual C++
Redistributables and the SP1 version of the redistributables cannot be
downloaded from Microsoft. This causes deployment problems when using
Visual C++ 2005 Express Service Pack 1. For example, a "hello world"
console program (compiled with default settings) will not run on a PC
that does not already have Visual C++ 2005 Express SP1."

Is it really a working solution? A sidenote: I downloaded it, installed
it, and then removed it manually (I know, bad habit) from this W2000
box, now it complains in installation and it seems to require, if not
reinstallation if Windows, at least some complicated hacks.

At least we should make sure that it is possible to build the bindings
with other tools against the official GDAL binaries. I think that was
one of the Howard's original ideas that the bindings wouldn't be in the
main binary distribution.

I'd put my vote on MinGW (i.e., gcc) for the official Windows binary
distribution.

Regards,

Ari

--