[Gdal-dev] Supported Compiler

ValiSystem vali.system at free.fr
Fri Apr 20 12:09:08 EDT 2007

On 20 avr. 07, at 17:32, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> ValiSystem wrote:
>> On 20 avr. 07, at 16:38, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I started matrix of supported compilers/system/architecture:
>>>
>>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SupportedCompilers
>>>
>>> Please, feel free to extend it with missing configurations or just
>>> e-mail details to me and I'll ad them.
>>>
>>> Cheers -- Mateusz Loskot http://mateusz.loskot.net
>>>

>> I added my successful builds, but i have three suggestions : - It
>> could be nice to add an "OS flavour" column, to match different
>> GNU/Linux distros, that might have different compiler
>> patches/libraries version that could break a build.
>
> Yes, I agree.
>
> What about putting such details in Operating System column,
> instead of GNU/Linux it could be something
> like GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 6.10) ?

Yes ! It may be a little less readable, but if everyone keeps the
"GNU/Linux" at start, it should not be a problem.

>> It's also important for Mac OS X since panther, tiger and leopard
>> have different buildings environment.
>
> Yes.
>
>> I don't now windows enough to say if it is important to know the
>> version (XP/Vista)
>
> I'll updated it.
>
>> - I don't think we need to specify minor compiler version for GCC,
>> since they are  bug fixes, generally heavily tested to avoid breaking
>> anything.
>
> I'd suggest to *specify* full version, with minor part included.

I'm okay with that, it was just to be sure to keep the good ratio
between needed informations and quantity of informations. If you
think it's needed, it should appear.

>> - Giving GDAL version could help for history maintenance :-)
>
> Yes, but I wasn't able get MoinMoin or reStructuredText tables
> working,
> but the native table format is very simple, so it seems hard to get
> complex matrix displayed:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/WikiFormatting

I definitely agree with you to keep the "simple stupid" table format
instead of a complex one that would certainly lead to an unmaintained
wiki page.
As a workaround, why not create a table for each version, with the
version number in a heading ?

So, then i'll wait for your update to see what you have in mind. Feel
free to remind me if it seems that i forgot.