[Gdal-dev] Win32: Supported build environments

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 23 20:17:05 EDT 2007

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Frank,
>
> So, we're going to officially support both: MinGW and Cygwin.

Mateusz,

Well, that is a matter for discussion.  I hadn't really planned
to drop the Cygwin builds, though if people think there is little
interest in that we could.  I've never really used the cygwin builds
for anything "real".

I guess the question would be how many people are interested in
continued cygwin support?

>> Currently supported:
>>  o Visual Studio 6 (via nmakefile)
>>  o Visual Studio 2003 (aka VC7.1) (via nmakefile)
>
> I think we also (implicitly) support Visual Studio .NET 2002 with
> the Visual C++ 7.0 compiler.

This version works, but I'm suggesting that we wouldn't actively
test it.  Lots of things might work, but not be considered supported.

>> My currently thinking is that we should add MINGW, and VS Express
>> Edition support,
>
> The Express Edition can be supported similarly to VC++ 7.x/8

Right, I don't anticipate much in the way of changes would be required,
but there have been occasional complaints and problems.  If we support
the express edition then we would try and work through and test this
compiler before releases.