[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL SOC

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 27 15:49:00 EDT 2007

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> While we're here, a question for the GDAL PSC members: is a RFC required
> for a new driver? I believe the answer is yes, and if that's the case
> then the first task of your project will be to prepare the RFC and get
> it reviewed/approved before the fun part (i.e. coding) can start.

Daniel,

We haven't generally required RFCs for new drivers, though I have sometimes
at least sought feedback before incorporating new drivers (such as WCS as I
recall).

I'd be happy enough with the students working on new or substantially updated
drivers preparing detailed designs on their Trac wiki pages, circulating those
for feedback, and then we could raise a motion in support of the design when it
is ready.