[Gdal-dev] RFC 11: Fast Format Identification

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 30 00:51:21 EDT 2007

Folks,

I have a client wanting to be able to scan directories quickly, and identify
which files are supported raster files so they can be shown accordingly in
a file picker dialog.  In support of this use case, which I've seen in other
applications as well, I have prepared RFC 11: Fast Format Identification.

It is available at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc11_fastidentify

This is a call for discussion on the matter.  Barring compelling reasons
why this is a terrible idea, I'll try and incorporate feedback and bring
this RFC to a vote later this week.