[Gdal-dev] RFC 11: Fast Format Identification

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Mon Apr 30 19:53:48 EDT 2007

Frank,

I developed something a very similar tool (code name: WITWIMGD, Where in the
World is my Geospatial Data) where I basically developed everything around
GDAL without changing it. It browses the whole file system or just a single
folder tree while asking if GDAL and OGR can recognize each file.

My goal it to have something like:
http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/geoexplorer.php?associateid=39\%22%3EG
eographic%20Explorer, but better, since I am using GDAL :-)

Anyway,

A faster identifier would be nice but IMHO I think that you can accomplish
improvement is performance without the proposed change so that your
application will take responsibility for that. You can thread the
user-interface, record search-index like google desktop or/and treat
especial case in your own driver-manager loop in your app.

But like I said, it is just humble opinion.

Ivan